Thursday, July 26, 2007

Lift cycling

In the Low Fat Days when I subscribed to both Shape and Fitness before realizing it was the same magazine, I read an item that proved useful--weight cycling. If you lift three days a week, you do light weights/high reps one day, medium weights and reps the second day and heavy weights/low reps the third so your body doesn't get used to one particular weight. I did this with some success back then so I decided to try it again. I figured that Monday was my medium day, so I did the heavy stuff on Wednesday as follows:

5 minutes warm-up on the cross trainer, level 3

All sets 5 reps

3 sets pull-ups on gravitron, 45 pounds resistance
3 set leg presses, 165 pounds
3 sets lat pulldowns, 85 pounds
3 sets shoulder pulldowns, 35 pounds
3 sets push-ups on gravitron, 45 pounds resistance
3 sets seated rows, 35 pounds
3 sets tight seated rows (hands close together), 70 pounds
3 sets tricep presses, 42.5 pounds
3 sets donkey presses, 100 pounds

And oh, did I feel it. I just about managed good form on the last sets on some of these (mainly the lat pulldowns, those totally kicked my ass) but I did manage. Tomorrow is the light day, a nice way to finish out the week.

And I HAVE to add cardio. Outside the gym I'm basically inert and I have to move if I want to get rid of this fat. When I move, I lose. I'm not going to go insane and repeat the hypoglycemia thing, but walking a couple miles every day is pretty much necessary for me since I spend so much time sitting on my ass. I have the food thing pretty well down so this is the final frontier.

Oh--and I weighed myself today for the hell of it, even though I'm retaining water because of my cycle. 223.5. Since I weighed 224 at the beginning of the month, I hope to hell I have a nice whoosh next week.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Hey, nice progress and a little tip...

If you increase your weights during your set, say go... 155, 165, 175 you might make quicker strength gains.

\m/ horns for the loss!

Laser Rocket Arm said...

Thanks for the horns!

I'll take your tip under consideration.

Tracy said...

For cardio, ever tried intervals as opposed to steady state? More fun, and faster...and better results too. Course I hate cardio.

Also...had a chance to read "The New Rules of Lifting"? Alwyn Cosgrove and, uh, Lou someone. Good read, and actually pretty funny for a weight lifting book.